Please help me! My Chrome browser always redirects me to Scangoogle.ru which I don’t want to visit at all. I have changed my home page several times, but each time I open Chrome again it goes back to that unwanted site. I thought this may be caused by some virus and also ran MSE to scan for malware but nothing was found. The problem is still there. I tried to reinstall the browser but with no luck, too. Is there any idea?
What is Scangoogle.ru?
Scangoogle.ru is considered as a browser hijacker or potentially unwanted program that may enter PC stealthily and change the browser settings without permission. Like Seekeen.com, Mystarting123.com and Eanswers.com and other browser hijackers, this website can affect most popular web browsers including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The browser hijacker is often bundled with other freeware and arrives on your computer unknowingly. If you surf the Internet without paying much attention to the freeware downloads or visiting websites, this redirect virus can take the opportunity to sneak into your machine. Once installed, it may change the default homepage of the browser to its own site as showed below:
The site looks like Google, Yahoo and Bing and other popular search providers and it also enables you to search for information using its search service. However, as browser hijackers are mainly generated to boost web traffic and display advertising so that their developers can make profits, this site is also ad-supported. When you type a keyword in the search box in Scangoogle.ru and do a search, many ads related to your search queries will be displayed in the search results. If you click on the links or ads promoted, the developers of the browser hijacker can earn money from pay-per-link revenue.
Moreover, it may track your browsing histories and record your data such as your search queries and sends it to third parties for commercial purposes. In this case, your data may be sent to potential cybercriminals and the data might be misused. This may result in personal privacy violation issue.
The website is not responsible for the third-party content displayed or promoted by it. So please be cautious and don’t click on the links or ads if you are not sure. Never click on any pop-ups or links from them or your computer may be invaded by more other cyber threats like spyware and adware. If there are numerous infections on the PC, your computer performance will become very poor and the system freezing or crashing may frequently occur. Thus, to protect your PC from further damages, please remove the redirect virus promptly once you find it.
Tips: If you find it difficult to manually delete Scangoogle.ru from the PC, consider use a professional antimalware program to scan the PC and delete all entries associated with it completely.
How does Scangoogle.ru spread?
In order to promote its products, the PUPs can be manually and voluntarily installed from different unsafe websites, forum, and source; however, the redirect virus is often bundled with freeware including aggressive installations that prevent PC users from canceling. Some users are able to select accept or decline an offer to install additional program and change their home page or search engine to the unwanted site, but some PC users may ignore those selection.
Symptoms that may be caused by Scangoogle.ru:
- There are many pop-up ads on the browser.
- The search results are always redirected to unwanted sites.
- Multiple unknown desktop icons may show up on your Windows desktop
- The browser default homepage and search engine are changed.
- The browser works slowly and crashes down occasionally.
- Unknown toolbars and extensions are installed onto the browser.
How to Remove Scangoogle.ru Step by Step?
Delete suspicious programs from Windows Computer using Control Panel
This is one of the best ways to delete or remove any malicious program which is already invaded in your system. In this way you have to follow some simple steps as mentioned below:
Click start or start menu logo at the bottom left corner of your desktop and then navigate to control panel > Programs and then:
For Windows XP, click on Add/Remove Programs.
For Win Vista, 7 & 8, click on Uninstall a Program.
Find the installed programs that are related for Scangoogle.ru. Then you have to:
For Win XP, click on Remove or Change/Remove.
For Win Vista, 7 & 8, click on Uninstall.
Then you have to follow the un-installation process as it comes on window.
Reboot the computer once the un-installation process is completed.
Note: If you have any problems with deleting Scangoogle.ru from the Windows Control Panel then you can use a specialized removal tool to entirely delete this undesired infection from the compromised computer.
Manually delete unknown extensions or toolbars and restore browser settings
For Mozilla Firefox
Remove Scangoogle.ru from Firefox add-ons
- Run the browser and click on Firefox menu button and select Add-ons.
- Select Extensions on the left.
- Select extensions related to Scangoogle.ru or similar and remove them.
- Reboot Mozilla Firefox, so that the measures could take effect.
Change the default search engine
1 Click on Firefox Menu button at the top right corner of the browser and select Options.
2 Click on Search on the left.
3 Under Default Search Engines, find the one you prefer and set it as the default search engine.
4 To remove the unwanted search engine, navigate to One-click search engines, select the one you want to remove and click on Remove button.
Remove Scangoogle.ru from homepage
1 Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Firefox menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and select Options.
2 Click on the General on the left, delete the unwanted URL from the Home page editable field and then enter the address of the website that you prefer.
For Google Chrome
Remove suspicious Add-ons or Extensions
- Run Google Chrome and then click on 3 Horizontal Bar or Wrench icon at top left corner of the web browser
- Next click More tools and then on Extensions
- Now search for extension associated with Scangoogle.ru or similar, select it and remove it by clicking Trashcan icon
- Reboot Google Chrome, so that steps could take effect.
Repair the search engine
- Run Google Chrome and then click on 3 Horizontal bar icon at top left corner of the internet browser
- Next click on settings>search>Manage Search Engines
- Now set your favorite search engine from the list of preferred ones and click on Make Default. You can also remove unknown search engines from the list. Then delete the unwanted search engine.
- Reboot the chrome, so that steps could take effect
Delete unwanted homepage
- Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and select Settings.
Scroll down to the On Startup section, choose Open a specific page or sets of pages. Then delete the unwanted URL from there and type the address of the website you’d like. Click on OK to save the changes.
- Go to the Appearance section, check Show Homepage and then delete the unwanted URL and enter the address of the website that you want to set as the default homepage in the field. Click on OK button to save the changes.
For Internet Explorer
Remove Scangoogle.ru related Add-ons or Extensions
1 Run Internet Explorer and click on Tools and browse to Manage Add-ons
- Select unknown add-on entries related to Scangoogle.ru and either Disable or Remove them.
- Restart Internet Explorer, so that the measures take effect
Alter Web Browser settings
- Run Internet Explorer and click on Tools and choose Manage add-ons.
- Now go to Search providers.
- Now set your favorite search engine from the list of preferred ones and click on save as default. Delete the unwanted search engine from the list.
- Click OK and reboot Internet Explorer, so that the measures could take effect
Repair the homepage which was modified by unwanted program
1 Click on Tools or the Tools icon and select Internet Options.
2 Under General tab, delete the unwanted URL from the Home page editable field and then enter the address of the website that you prefer.
3 Click on OK button to save the changes.
Delete Scangoogle.ru from browser shortcut
- Locate to IE/Chrome/Firefox browser shortcut on the desktop or the taskbar. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Shortcut tab, check the Target editable field. If Scangoogle.ru or other strange URLs are found there, delete them and then click on OK button.
Run a system scan with SpyHunter (recommended)
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that can find and remove Scangoogle.ru from your computer completely. It’s able to protect your PC from various cyber infections like Trojans, rootkits, adware, spyware, browser hijackers and other potentially unwanted programs. If your browser is hijacked, we suggest you run a free scan of the system with SpyHunter and delete all threats from the PC immediately.
- SpyHunter will automatically launch soon and start to scan your system for malware. To make sure the tool can find and delete threats effectively, you need to update the tool to the latest version. To perform a new system scan, click on Scan Computer Now button.
- A full scan may take a long time. Just be patient and wait for it to finish.
- When SpyHunter has finished scanning your computer, all the threats found on the system are displayed in the scan results. You can expand to view the basic information and other details of the threats. Click on Fix Threats button to remove the infections completely.
Note: Purchase the full version of SpyHunter first so that you can clear Scangoogle.ru and other threats fully.
Tips to Protect Your Computer From Being Infected
- Download software from reliable and official websites.
- Always read the Terms and Agreements before downloading and installing software on your computer.
- Keep operating system updated and ensure your firewall on your computer.
- Use caution when opening attachments and accepting file transfers.
- Don’t visit malicious websites when surfing the Internet. Never click on pop-up ads and suspicious links which may contain potential threats. It is advised to set your passwords strong and complicated.
Scangoogle.ru may get into your computer when you download something from free applications or unreliable websites. Before you install any software on your computer, you must read carefully any items and agreements. If you are annoyed by any of symptoms mentioned above, your computer is infected with a browser hijacker. In the case, you have to remove it from your computer without any delay. Try the manual method or use a Scangoogle.ru removal tool to clean up it quickly and fully.
The following video offers a complete guide for Scangoogle.ru removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!